50 Perfect Conversation Starters To Help You Survive The First Date
First dates are often anxiety-provoking because you don’t really know the person you’re about to meet. While topics of conversation are infinite, you may feel speechless when you don’t know where to begin.
To keep the conversation organically flowing, you’ll want to ask questions that allow the person to express themselves. This really opens the door to delve into their personality and gather insight into who they are.
We like to think of dating as a learning process. It’s all about getting to know the other person to decide if they are someone you want to see again. And the best way to figure it out is by asking the right questions.
We recommend avoiding touchy or cliché topics such as politics, religion, work and/or money. These topics are a bit sensitive and may have your mate bolting for the door. While these factors may be relevant to someone you want a long-term relationship with, it’s crucial to refrain from asking on first dates. Sticking to light-hearted topics will suit you best.
Here are 50 First Date Questions You Can Ask to Keep the Conversation Going:
1. If you were stranded on an island, what is one item you would take with you?
2. Who is your favorite band or musician?
3. Are you more of a morning person or night owl?
4. Where would you go on your dream vacation?
5. Who is the closest person to you and why?
6. Who inspires you?
7. What is your favorite childhood memory?
8. What kind of hobbies do you enjoy?
9. Do you have any fears? If so, what are they?
10. What are your current goals in life?
11. Do have a favorite color and why?
12. What would you choose as your top meal?
13. What is your favorite city you have been to?
14. What is on your bucket list?
15. If you had no fears, what would be the first thing you would do?
16. Do you have siblings?
17. Where did you grow up at?
18. What do value in others?
19. What is your favorite book you have read?
20. What is one piece advice you would give to someone?
21. If you didn’t have to work, what would you do for a living?
22. What is your favorite cuisine to cook?
23. Do you have any vices?
24. What’s one thing you cannot live without?
25. Do you speak any other languages?
26. What is your favorite movie?
27. If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
28. What is your astrology sign?
29. Do you have any awkward family traditions?
30. If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
31. Do you have any pets?
32. Are you an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert?
33. How long have you lived here?
34. Have you ever lived in another country?
35. Are you more of an indoors or outdoors person?
36. What is your favorite athletic activity?
37. What are you known for amongst your friends?
38. How do you unwind?
39. What are you most grateful for?
40. What is your favorite holiday? How do you celebrate it?
41. What is the most interesting fact about you?
42. If you were to go on a road trip, where would you go?
43. Who has impacted you the most in life?
44. What is one thing you still want to learn?
45. What is your favorite way to spend your time off?
46. What brings you happiness in life?
47. Do you have any pet peeves?
48. If you were to be notable for something what would it be?
49. What’s one thing you practice on a daily basis that improves your life?
50. What is the longest timespan you could live without your phone?
Cheers to first dates!
Featured on: Thought Catalog